From: COBOL400-L <cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson via COBOL400-L
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 4:24 PM
To: COBOL Programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] [EXTERNAL] Re: (Kein Betreff)

NOTICE: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. I am a fan of developers having good choices for tools. Every developer has individual preferences and more power to them (pun intended).

I feel like the VS Code extensions for IBMi development are still a bit in the early adoption phase. However, I am doing my best to be an early adopter. I have high hopes for what VS Code will grow into as an IBMi development tool.

If I understood correctly at the POWERUp conference, IBM is using VS Code as the base for its new Merlin IDE. (Sorry if I misunderstood this--and anyone please correct me if I am mistaken.) I'm sure it will be a customization of the VS Code open source, not a set of VS Code extensions. But it's interesting that IBM would not use RDi or Eclipse for the new Merlin IDE. That might say more about JAVA or about the widespread popularity of VS Code than about RDi itself, though.

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
Senior Software Engineer II
Dot Foods, Inc.
1-217-773-4486 ext. 12676
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dotfoods.com%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cdave.begley%40healthsmart.com%7C0182fd2611cd488d1a6408da7b0e5856%7C2ce547c5e80a40628a56f25adceefb52%7C0%7C0%7C637957598802338959%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=G3RRHrqmsRsoXbEOS701TstjNtnIOcc0g3GeveurTuE%3D&amp;reserved=0