Joe,

These areas are level-05 entries copied into your program
by the pre-compiler.  They do not overlap in the example I
provided because your telling the compiler to copy a *single*
input (or output) record format individually. Try it an see :)

You may be thinking of this scenario:

    01  DSPFILE-area.
        copy dds-all-formats     of OE314D.

The above case is where you run into overlapping structures
due to the "redefines" statement inserted by the compiler.
This can cause horrific problems and is best avoided if at
all possible.

Terry