> The precompiler will not recognize working storage fields unless they are
> inside of the Declare section.

Oh yes it will <grin> although the manual does not say so explicitly, there
is an assumed BEGIN/END pair around all data definitions within the program.
In fact I have never used this clause before in any embedded SQL work.  It
works just fine without it.  Also if you try this, you will find as I did
that it makes no difference - the use of :VENDR1.VR1 is still not accepted
for the VALUES clause.

The only thing I may be able to do is move all of the definitions around so
that everything SQL needs to "see" is within a DECLARE block and avoid the
duplicate names that way.  I may still have to do some manual renames but it
is better than nothing.  The problem is this is an existing program that is
being retrofitted with SQL I/O and so it is a pain to have to move it all
around.

It looks as if there is an "undocumented feature" (i.e. bug) in the
pre-compiler that means that qualified names cannot be used for structures.
As Simon has pointed out if you pass a list of qualified names e.g.
:VENDR1.VNID :VENDR1.VNNAME for the Values clause it works, even without
DECLARE.

Jon Paris
Partner400