Tom,

I always have a hard time with this myself.  It really
depends on what programming language your calling.
Check out the iSeriesNetwork COBOL forum (old News400)
and search for the word "address". Then choose the first
couple of posts by Mike Cravtiz, especially the one titled
"By Value v.s. By Content", its a little old but very
informative.

Here's the forum:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/Forums/Index.cfm?OCFI=825807&OCFT=62624683&CFA
pp=19&

Here's a direct link to the post (but it may not work,
have sent an error report to the webmaster):
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/Forums/Search_Results.cfm?CFApp=19#Message5108
7

Good Luck,
Terry