More information is needed. But for all that can be seen, the direct answer to your question is that the values of uncompBuffer, buffytemplate.commndkey, and/or uncompLen may have been altered (or never correct) before the memcpy instruction was executed.
++
Dennis
++
The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.
-- H. L. Mencken, Prejudices, Third Series,1922

Sent from my Galaxy tablet phone. Please excuse my brevity.
For any grammatic/spelling errors, there is no excuse.
++

"James Lampert" <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have the following statement, in a C main program, in a procedure
that moves fields around between where an RPG module puts them, and
where a client program expects them in the reply to a request.

memcpy(uncompBuffer, buffytemplate.commndnkey+3, uncompLen);

It has been working perfectly, without alteration, for over six years.

But now, at one (and only one) installation (one where other weirdness
has happened), suddenly, over the weekend, with no known updates of any

of our stuff, it has suddenly stopped working, throwing:

Message . . . . : Space offset X'0002E11A' or X'0000000000000000' is
outside current limit for object WTCPCHILD WINTOUCH 180310.

Cause . . . . . : A program tried to set a space pointer, tried to
use

storage outside a space, or tried to use an unallocated page in
teraspace.
The space class is X'03'. . . .

Can anybody think of anything that could have been done, external to
our
code, to make it do this?