Thanks James, it compiles and runs OK... perhaps any IBMers on the list want
to take note with the manual and put in this new code (with due credit of
course)...

But I'm still naive with pointers, so I dont know how to view the results.
I'm in debug, the snmpget works ok and I'm viewing *pdu, *varbind, str_val
all with varying results but I'm just guessing where I'm meant to look...

 > EVAL *pdu
   (*pdu).pdu_type = 'µ'
   (*pdu).error_status = 0
   (*pdu).error_index = 0
   (*pdu).varbind = SPP:DB82BFF175000300
 > EVAL v
   v.str_val = SPP:*NULL
   v.int_val = SPP:*NULL

Is ths the right place to look, and the program really has returned a NULL
or...?

Thanks,
Brendan