Hi,
I'm trying to get an snmp apis converted to RPG, but there's far too many
pointers involved for my liking...

This is the C api (from unix api manual):

int snmpGet(snmppdu  *          pdu_ptr,
            char  *             host_ptr,
            unsigned long int   time_out,
            char  *             comm_ptr,
            unsigned long int   comm_len);

and the pdu_ptr struct is:

struct _varBind{ struct _varBind * next;
char *oid; /* Null Terminated */
unsigned char asn_type;
int val_len;
union { int * int_val; char * str_val; } val; };

I've been thrown by the fact the api returns a pointer to a DS with
pointers...

0002.00 D getsnmp         PR            10I 0 ExtProc('snmpGet')
0003.00 D  pdu_ptr                        *   value options(*string)
0004.00 D  host_ptr                       *   value options(*string)
0005.00 D  timeout                      10U 0 value
0006.00 D  comm_ptr                       *   value
0007.00 D  comm_len                     10U 0 value
0008.00
0009.00 D pdu_ptr_s       S               *
0010.00 D pdu_ds          DS                   based(pdu_ptr_s)
0011.00 D  next                           *
0012.00 D  oid                            *
0013.00 D  asn_type                       *
0014.00 D  val_len                      10I 0
0015.00 D  result                         *

0036.00 c                   eval      x = getsnmp(pdu_ptr_s:
0037.00 c                                         %addr(hostname):
0038.00 c                                         5:
0039.00 c                                         %addr(commname):
0040.00 c                                         6)

So if I do this and snmpget returns OK, the 'result' field (from the DS) is
*NULL but in debug an 'eval pdu_ds' shows 'result' is a valid pointer...

So my 2 questions are:
1) Is the api translated to rpg ok
2) can i access %str(result) or should I be doing something else.

It's really an rpg question but I know you guys understand both...

thanks,
Brendan