From: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bud North (PHOENIX)
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 5:29 PM
To: bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BPCS-L] Routing Logic

Eriq,

Bryce is correct regarding the 'reporting of production'. However, your question asks 'how to route 5 operations/machines simultaneously'. This suggests you are trying to figure out a way to perform parallel scheduling of the 5 operations. You do provide information in the 2nd paragraph referencing first operation for the first unit, going directly to next operation - which would contradict parallel scheduling and be more like overlap scheduling, also referred to as send ahead. I have created a kind of white paper on some findings regarding BPCS work center scheduling logic that I'd be happy to forward directly to you as an attachment if requested.

The net is that normal BPCS scheduling logic for start and due date calculations for use in capacity planning and work center scheduling uses linear scheduling - meaning operation 1, then operation 2, then operation 3, and so on. If you want operation 2 to start before operation 1 finishes (overlap or send ahead) the use of some combination of negative queue and/or move time allows this to be accomplished from a scheduling perspective. Likewise, parallel scheduling (operation 1 and operation 2 start on the same date and complete on the same date) can also be accomplished using negative queue and/or move.

The calculation of start and end dates using any of the 3 methods (linear, overlap, parallel) don't prevent you from reporting hours/quantities as they are completed as Bryce indicates.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Bud

Bud North
PHOENIX Business Consulting, Inc.