Shop Order Maintenance permits you to make BOM and/or routing substitutions.

If disk space permits, you could also consider another environment.

We don't use effectivity dates as designed. Our BOM and Routings are what
the product is right now, latest revision. But BPCS supports multiple
concurrent engineering, in which reports could be run:

Here's costs breakdown using only what's effective relevant to the
engineering as of a particular date. The costs would be latest standard
actual etc. or a copy frozen as of some past date.

Engineering changes for us are fairly rare so we don't duplicate BOM, except
in support of repairs rework. But we have
This Year Costs
Last Year Costs
So reports can be run on inventory, profits, etc. vs. whichever costs.
As new year approaches, we have a Next Year Costs Set work area which gets
populated
1. Clear Next Year then Copy This Year Standard Costs there
2. For raw materials only, replace with Actual Cost, but if zero, leave
3. Human beings key in changes based on expected changes early next year
4. Run queries to identify oops, like different cost raw across facilities
After Physical Inventory completed at year end
1. Clear Last Year, copy This Year There, roll up
2. Clear This year, copy Next Year There, roll up
3. We have Physical Inventory reports showing changes due to the counts, and
due to the costs.

-
Al Mac