Interpreting the contents of this file can be a royal pain.

Suppose you have notes on an order, and the order gets closed.
You would think the notes should go away with the order, but BPCS is a little buggy.
You can have notes on orders, etc. that are long gone from the system.
You can have inventory history on items that have been deleted.

So you can be looking at the control #s of notes & you can't figure out what they are referring to, because they are for RMA or something that don't exist any more.

To fix this kind of thing, you can write your own programs to clean out BPCS of these various kinds of remnants, or get Locksmith from UPI which has already got it figured out, what all those areas are that may need some occasional clean up.

When you are in orders, or the various other places, there is a command key to get to the order notes. There is a letter code to designate what kind of order note it is.

There's a field that contains the customer # if it is a note on the customer.
The same identical field contains the order # if it is a note on an order.
The code letter for type of note ... that tells BPCS to interpet the contents of field as being order, or customer.
Since the field has this dual purpose, figuring out what is in there can be confusing, since BPCS labels the field with one purpose & populates it with another.

Your starting point for analysis should be
* what are all those codes for types of notes
* which do we have & how do the patterns of population vary with the types of codes

This is like inventory history ... depending on the type of transaction, different fields are populated, and the data in there is not consistent with data on other kinds of transactions.

Okay, Found the ESN but for the life of me I can't see how a comment entered
for a specific order or for a specific line item can be located in the file
- there isn't any indicative information for order and/or line item number.

What am I missing.

Roy Luce
Systems Plus - Midwest

Direct: 847-540-9635