From: bpcs-l-bounces+ssegerstrom=intermatic.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+ssegerstrom=intermatic.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Phil.Catlin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 1:55 PM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Business structure of EDI function

Debra...

1) People involved:  2-3 (typical)  A new transaction set may involve
more people in IT depending on the complexity of the interface and the
lead time for implementation.
2) Departments;  Customer Service, IT, Manufacturing
3) Responsibilities:  Customer Service:  Customer setup, Master data
maintenance (EIX, RCM, Orders), data correction.
IT: Translation and
communications software, Mapping, Interfaces.   Manufacturing: Item
master
maintenance (usually UPC code assignment for new items... due to the
huge number of SKU's we create, we don't automatically assign a UPC
unless we are selling the item to a retailer)
4) Error review:   Customer service has visibility/maintenance for new
customers, invalid items/prices/terms, etc.   IT manages communications
and translation failures

Notes:  We don't use ECM for inbound orders (BPCS version 6.002),
instead we use the order file connector in  Order Management (formerly
Ironside).
For outbound documents we have written our own extract programs to
capture the data and pass to the translator.

If you have other specific questions feel free to contact me off-list...

Phil Catlin
Formica

"Debra Ivey" <divey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces+phil.catlin=formica.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/12/2007 01:27 PM
Please respond to
"SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[BPCS-L] Business structure of EDI function

I'd like to know what kind of structure other companies have in place
related to the setup and execution of EDI transactions with their
customers and vendors.

*  How many people are involved in the setup of new customer
or vendor transaction sets (customer/vendor contact, creating maps,
integration to BPCS, etc.)?
*  What department(s) do they work in?
*  How are the responsibilities broken out?
*  Who reviews and handles any errors that occur once a
transaction set is implemented (trading partner sends bad data,
something
doesn't map right in the integration, etc.)?

Any responses to my "poll" will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Debra Ivey
Application Development Manager
Red Gold