Joe:

>From working with clients over the past several years, I've learned that
using past usage figures to determine which inventory items will be slow
movers is like driving a car by watching the rearview mirror.  You can tell
what the road has done but not what it is going to do.

The most valuable numbers are those that indicate demand levels based on
backlogged customer orders (future demand) and those that may be required
based on forecasted demand.

Al Mac identifies summary data shown on the INV300 screen reflecting the
total of the demand for real and planned orders - that's the data I'd be
going after.

It may also be interesting to separate items with no demand of any type from
those with some demand and look at the supply versus demand.
To accomplish this feat it is necessary to peg each backlogged order or
forecasted quantity to its raw material and sum the demand by time periods.
You also need to time phase the supply quantities and match them to the
demand.

Several of my clients run this process once a week.  The result has been a
30% (or more) drop in raw and WIP inventory.
The process is embedded in OTTO, a "bolt-on" to BPCS.  To learn more contact
me off line.

Roy Luce
Systems Plus - Midwest

Main:   847-540-9635