To Deb @ Alba/Tefron

I believe that so long as the data is separated by item# (such as with a suffix) or by facility, the costs are accurate and reliable.

For another scenario than yours, we keep item #s using different item #s all the way through production, then the last step is to roll inventory from one item # to another (redesignate transaction) to satisfy the customer order.

As soon as we combine same item, with different costs from different facilities, into the same facility, for the purpose of a joint customer order processing, the costs are hopelessly mixed up, and we give the facility, that did the customer order, the profits for the cost of goods that was done in the other facility, thus distorting your General Ledger profitability by facility. There are clerical advantages to consolidated customer billing when it comes to matching customer payments to which facility receivables, but is that more important than accurate costs and accurate financial statements?

Perhaps what is needed is:
1. Keep the different cost structures on same item by facility.
2. Modify the shipping billing process so that different facility inventory of same item can be sent in a combined shipment. 3. Modify the invoice billing so that the customer gets a bill showing we shipped some quantity of this item
X quantity from X facility methods
Y quantity from Y facility methods
The customer gets a consolidated invoice
BPCS keeps the data separate by facility cost structure so that the financial records are not sabotaged by customer service need to combine items with different cost structures 4. Modify accounting for customer payments so the money can be partitioned to the relevant facilities, including reports to the customers that do not confuse them on what they still owe the total enterprise

But you wanted to do this with no modifications, so here is an alternative approach.

Keep all your facilities.
Add a new facility for the combining of items with different costs.
Get inventory to it via resupply orders.
Book the transfers from the manufacturing facilities to update sales totals, but not update receivables, so now you have accurate totals on your margins, without having to have your new facility cut payables to the manufacturing facilities, tracking play money payments between facilities. Process some General Ledger adjustments to compensate the manufacturing facilities for the profits from sales by the new facility.

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html