We are 405 CD mixed mode, multi-facility, heavily modified.

Several weeks ago I asked

Under what circumstances would this field still be "Y" after all facilities have had MRP500 MRP600?

I got back a bunch of suggestions of things to look into, for which I am much appreciative.
Did I neglect to say THANK YOU?

Those suggestions were a big help. There are now approx 1,000 items being planned properly, that were not, when I stumbled over this. There's a bunch of items that MRP is ignoring because of coding errors that I passed on to the folks at the office who manage such things ... parts we manufacture but have no BOM, parts that we both manufacture and purchase.

Some coding errors I fixed with one of my fixit programs ... if this or that field is blank, populate it with our default. This is on a menu where we can rerun the fixit periodically, to get new items whose input might have neglected some stuff.

For those fixed 1,000 items, CIC.ICACT still "Y" after MPS MPS MRP meant that these items needed to be planned, but our data was too screwed up to permit them to be planned.

I cleared out all the "Y" to see if any were ancient in perpetuity.
I now run complex facilities using MPS MPS MRP instead of just MPS MRP.

Some of the items there had negative requirements, then after BPCS file reorg, they got planned properly.

But, excluding items awaiting engineering repairs, there are still about 400 items, that after I run MPS MPS MRP, the CIC.ICACT field is still "Y"

I looked into a few of them in detail ... what SHOULD MRP have done with this item?
Aha ... for some of them the answer was NOTHING

For example ... we have one that is a sub-assembly ... the higher parent needed 250 quantity ... this item made 250, the higher parent used the 250 ... the shop order on the higher parent is still open (there are later steps not yet completed that do not use this child)
so I wondering if, in some cases CIC.ICACT still "Y" after MPS MPS MRP means that the item is still MRP-active but no MRP planning is called for.

It would be nice if I knew how to detect situations calling for different responses by us
* These items need MRP planning but their coding is screwed up ... human repairs needed
* These items are MRP active but do not need MRP planning ... humans may ignore (not a problem)
* These items need MRP planning ... perhaps we missed a step when doing it
* Something else going on here

In searching for clues, I was using queries that gave info on various fields of these items in CIC IIM ILI and other files ... I would run this one facility at a time. For a while it was useful to include the IIM BOM sequence field ... which of these items have BOM components in ANY facility, but I would also like to see which of these might have BOM glitches in the same facility ... before I do query linkage with MBM file, I wondered if there was an equivalent to IM.INSEQ (last BOM Sequence for all facilities) at the facility level.

What is the significance of CIC.ICLEVL field?
Is that how many levels deep an item is in BOM in that facility?

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/