Under what circumstances would this field still be "Y" after all facilities have had MRP500 MRP600?

My understanding of the field is that any action to any item in a facility that would impact MRP or CAP, such as change to customer orders, change in inventory, change in BOM or Routings, tha causes this flag to go on, then when MRP full regeneration is completed, the flag is off again.

Right before End Month, I did do MRP500 MRP600.
Right after End Month, we had 18,000 CIC records with ICACT 'Y' ... I was surprised that End Month jobs would flag MRP needed, so I ran it all again. I noticed that after MRP500 but before MPR600 on one facility that the count rose to 23,000 telling me that MRP500 probably flags children of relevant master scheduled items as needing attention.
After 100% facilities had MRP500 MRP600 we had 1,000 records in CIC still with ICACT 'Y'

I recognize some of them as samples and pilots where we have activity before the engineering is completed, but far too many items in the condition of ICACT 'Y'
I am wondering if some are master scheduled engineering orphans, children of parent items such that there is no way for MRP to get to them, so they get flagged but never reached. For example, perhaps there was activity right before an engineering change that made a sub-component such that it has no parents any more. We might have conversion artifacts that became "Y" permanently. I am just trying to get a handle on all possible reasons ... I suspect most of these items are some kinds of data errors we ought to clean up.

The reason I got interested in this field.
We want to identify whether we have dead inventory ... such as children of customer parts whose orders have dried up. Perhaps Safety Stock needs a review, but on which items?
Most reports that list cost variances, items in more than one facility whose costs inconsistent, etc. list all items that have ever been engineered in a facility.
We have people who only want to be researching items with cost discrepancies when we have on-hand or those items are recently active, so I been looking into fields that define activity, that are relatively easy to combine in query/400. Since CIC has standard & actual cost by item by facility & also this field, it seemed like a good choice, except I thought it meant only those items active today, since we do MRP500 MRP600 every evening.

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/