I beg the indulgence of the group while I summarize for my benefit.  I assume
that those more versed will correct any mis-statements, and so improve all of
our knowledge!

I believe that there are several issues here:

   1. Unauthorized access
     1a. Security within the application
     1b. Green screen external tool security
     1c. External tool security

  2. Auditing for inappropriate authorized use

Regarding unauthorized access . . .
-- I think BPCS security is acceptable for the application itself; although
like any system it could be improved.  Granular control is available when
necessary.  This is a question of proper configuration rather than application
capability.
-- Mr. Torres, in point #2 of his post, discussed how to secure the application
from external green screen tools, although I believe that he left out that
there is some adopted authority happening.  I believe this is a sound strategy.
-- There is numerous information available w.r.t. external security; the
archives of this list and midrange-l should be of great help, as should the IBM
Info Center.  I think there is a redbook about this topic.  This is something
that you can done yourself, and tools and consultants available to make it
easier and faster.
-- The point about IS staff having unfettered access to production is valid, to
a point.  For most iSeries applications, there is no way to get around the need
to directly manipulate the data from time to time.  Which brings us to auditing
. . ..

Regarding auditing . . .
Basically, there needs to be auditing and/or approval of critical data changes
to make sure that fraudulent or erroneous transactions are prevented or caught
while still reversible.  Mr. Batmanghelidj and Mr. Habeck have dueling products
that deal with these issues, and there are likely others.  Direct file access
(for reading as well as updating) should be logged, and the logs reviewed on a
regular basis.  If Sarbanes-Oxley or CFR Part 11 is relevant to your
organization, the use of one of these tools is quite likely required.

Have I made sense?