From: Al Mac [mailto:macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 1:05 PM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: RE: INV900 Oops

Hopefully our latest scenario has been resolved.  Thanks to all who made
some suggestions.
I discussed Dee Dee's post with my boss, and last nite after an early
backup I ran INV900.

During INV900 we periodically use QSECOFR or QSYSOPR to check on if it is
done yet, because we know from experience that a person can sign on, just
be at a menu, but now there is a lock blocking INV900 from
continuing.  Even the work station that launched INV900 can cause this, by
moving around to other menus.

Before INV900 we vary off 100% of the work stations accessible to nite
shift.
They are accustomed to accessing BPCS when they want to check on inventory,
BOM, shop orders, whatever ... they not really understand various reasons
why stay off at this or that time, and there are a lot of individual
inspectors, team leaders, etc, who might randomly need to use one of the
factory work stations.

When INV900 done, I vary their work stations back on again.

INV900 is usually run by an accounting person who not fully understand that
not all jobs are shown on WRKACTJOB ... there may be stuff that is
DISCONTINUED but still tying up BPCS files ... and of course there is stuff
on JOBQ other than what YOU put there.

I have discovered with reorgs like SYS120 that it can run with other people
on the system.
It pauses with a lock on this or that file, then skips that file and moves
on to the next file.
So basically I can do a reorg which does the files they not happen to be
using at the moment, without kicking them off of BPCS like we have to do
with INV900.

Al Mac

>I frequently have issues with INV900 not running. More accurately, it
>says "Ended abnormally." When I DSPMSG. It's always because a user had
>the IIM file open and INV900 could not get the exclusive lock it needs.
>Sometimes the user is not in, but the IIM file stays locked because they
>did not sign off before closing the session window. In that case, I do a
>wrkobjlck on the IIM file and determine the job(s) that are locking the
>file. I then take action 4 to end the job.
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>Paul

<snip>

>___

Al Macintyre

at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

http://www.star.net.uk

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action
in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
us as soon as possible and delete it.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed free from viruses, secure or error
free. No liability is accepted by the sender for any loss or damage which
may be caused as a result of the transmission of this e-mail. If
verification is required, please ask for a hard copy version.