Hopefully our latest scenario has been resolved. Thanks to all who made some suggestions.
I discussed Dee Dee's post with my boss, and last nite after an early backup I ran INV900.

During INV900 we periodically use QSECOFR or QSYSOPR to check on if it is done yet, because we know from experience that a person can sign on, just be at a menu, but now there is a lock blocking INV900 from continuing. Even the work station that launched INV900 can cause this, by moving around to other menus.

Before INV900 we vary off 100% of the work stations accessible to nite shift.
They are accustomed to accessing BPCS when they want to check on inventory, BOM, shop orders, whatever ... they not really understand various reasons why stay off at this or that time, and there are a lot of individual inspectors, team leaders, etc, who might randomly need to use one of the factory work stations.

When INV900 done, I vary their work stations back on again.

INV900 is usually run by an accounting person who not fully understand that not all jobs are shown on WRKACTJOB ... there may be stuff that is DISCONTINUED but still tying up BPCS files ... and of course there is stuff on JOBQ other than what YOU put there.

I have discovered with reorgs like SYS120 that it can run with other people on the system.
It pauses with a lock on this or that file, then skips that file and moves on to the next file.
So basically I can do a reorg which does the files they not happen to be using at the moment, without kicking them off of BPCS like we have to do with INV900.

Al Mac

I frequently have issues with INV900 not running. More accurately, it
says "Ended abnormally." When I DSPMSG. It's always because a user had
the IIM file open and INV900 could not get the exclusive lock it needs.
Sometimes the user is not in, but the IIM file stays locked because they
did not sign off before closing the session window. In that case, I do a
wrkobjlck on the IIM file and determine the job(s) that are locking the
file. I then take action 4 to end the job.

Hope this helps!

Paul