From: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Al Mac
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 1:19 AM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: OS/400 Upgrade V4R2 to V5R2

You might check MIDRANGE-L archives because the challenges and PTFs are
primarily 400 rather than BPCS_specific challenges, although the nature of
your modifications could factor in.

For example, some IBM 400 artifacts change in how they work, such as
library list, and passwords, but if you not done any modifications with
what change, then no sweat.

MIDRANGE_L had a TON of war stories, in which they pretty explicit what the
problem was, I checked out BPCS and pretty much it was a parade of ... this
does not apply to us.

You need to get the PTFs suggested by the BPCS APAR on IBM, especially the
data base PTFs from IBM.  You cannot go directly from V4R2 to V5R2.  If you
have a lot of spool entries, you may wish to get rid of what you can,
because their conversion adds to the overall time.

The demands on CPW go up, so if you close to the limit, you need to monitor
that carefully.
We used to have CPW hits perhaps once a year on V4, but on V5 we have them
twice a week, with less BPCS users (hitting ceiling on Interactive
Capacity).

PM400 working differently in V5 but I not yet taken the time to figure out
what I have to do to change the rules so it will do same as what we got in
V4.

Our BPCS version is V405 and we are on a model 170 AS/400.

>We're looking at upgrading our AS/400 9406-600 from V4R2 to V5R2.
>
>Our BPCS version is V3, somewhat modified and with a home grown Y2K
>implementation.
>
>Has anyone done anything similar recently and have any war stories to
>share?

-
Al Macintyre