>From our help desk 866-CCS-AS400...

Mitchell K. Kleinman
Executive Vice President
CCS - an IBM Premier Business Partner
949-476-0874 (Main)
949-261-3298 (Direct)
949-261-9164 (Office Fax)
425-940-1954 (eFax)
Mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brad Ford
05/29/2003 12:55 PM

        To:     Mitch Kleinman/CCSESERVERS
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: OS/400 Upgrade V4R2 to V5R2

Going from V4R2 to V5R2 is a large step, almost impossible to do in just
one step.

The recommended method would be to upgrade the system from V4R2 to V4R5
(yes you can skip this far in one step.) I would run at V4R5 for at least
a couple of days to make sure that everything is running OK. Then upgrade
from V4R5 to V5R2.

Please make sure that you are current on PTFs on each release, and that
you do a complete save of the system before and after the upgrades. (Use
the SAVE menu, option 21.)

It is possible to scratch install V5R2 on the system, install the
necessary IBM Licensed Program Products, then restore the user data and
programs. But this necessitates building the system configurations
(directory entries, reply list entries, network attributes) from scratch,
as well as loosing all the spool files on the system. (Spool files are not
part of a save on the 400 - you have to use third party software if you
want to save them.)

Good Luck.

Brad Ford
Director, iSeries Services