We are multi-facility 405 CD.
When we started 405 CD there was a lot of confusion by our staff and some members of our project team as to exactly what the options were, which led to the clarification being heavily embedded in my mind.

Costing is tied to Engineering and Planning. You can't do one Global and other by Facility. It is all or nothing.

You can have your inventory and orders be in the different warehouses in the different facilities, whether global costing or by facility.
The choice is whether you want to have rules and exceptions by facility.
Do you do anything different in the different facilities?
I mean any part you process has to be EXACTLY the same way, or you have to have a different part number for the different stuff.
We do not have precise duplication of machinery across facilities. Our factories are in totally different kinds of communities requiring different overhead rates.
We make components at facilities that are particularly suited to them, then transfer to other facilities. This adds cost, so that the same item # costed differently by facility. If you have that situation and wanted global costing, you would have to change the item # when adding the cost.

Another wrinkle is that when MRP for one factory needs components ordered from a different facility, is that even going to work when you are doing this stuff globally?

With Global Costing you have Global Engineering, and Global MRP and CAP.
By Facility you do your BOM and Routings by Facility, run MRP and CAP planning by Facility,.
I don't know how if DRP is even supported if you doing this Global.

By Facility works.
Global works.

Conversion can be a royal pain, since you have to redo all your engineering.
I guess you could write some software to copy to Global what is identical in the facilities that have same items, and let your staff manually deal with what is now different.
-
Al Macintyre
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

     We would like to do Global costing in a multi-facility 4.05CD
environment.  I looked at the archives, but didn't see any articles that
stated exactly what we would have to do in order to achieve this.

Is there anyone out there running Global costing in a multi-facility 4.05CD
that can tell us the steps/issues with doing this.

Thanks,

Dan Holverson
Dir of IT
Bairnco Corporation