Paul

You have asked a lot of questions.
I trying to address those that I can deal with.

Sometimes when looking at one thread I not remember all the introductory
stuff you said that was relevant to your situation in others.

I addressed the Padding topic in a different thread.

As an MIS professional, you probably know that when an end user comes to us
saying this or that not working right, please fix, it can be the case that
the user not understand something, misread symptoms, come to erroneous
conclusions, and the actual cure might have to be something a bit different
than precisely what the end user asked for.

Similar kind of risk when implementing a new application.  You need
thorough understanding of all its interactions before tweaking those
rules.  If something is driving you crazy, and it not seem like BPCS_L
friends getting you to a satisfactory solution, that might be a good reason
to bring in a consultant for 1-2 days.  Tell a professional BPCS consultant
what your problem is, let them spend 1-2 days drilling down on the
problem.  Some of them have satisfaction guaranteed ... they not fix the
problem, you not pay.  They charge hundreds of dollars an hour, but solving
some problems is worth it.
You can find links to prospects at my BPCS documentation
directory.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

We have similar situation implementing parts of ERP.  There is high risk
that some managers look at this as a computer system to install.  The
computer will do everything by magic, in which the users not have to do
anything different ways than they did before this new application
added.  That attitude is why many companies spend millions of dollars
installing some MRP II system, CRM, you name it, that ends up not
working.  Because it is not solely a computer solution.  It is a people
solution in which the computer does most of the work.  But if the business
rules not get changed to work as a team effort with the MRP/CAP logic
system, then you doomed to have lots of problems.

That's why I wrote my MRP Input below.  The kind of attitudes that can be
prevalent in a company, that are Ok to have when you not need MRP to work
right, but can be unacceptable if you need MRP/CAP. One of your statements
seemed to be focusing on only one part of the prerequisites so I thought it
might be constructive to make a list of critical stuff that I am aware of
that needs to be good quality as a pre-requisite to MRP/CAP successful
implementation.

Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
See Al http://www.ryze.com/view.php?who=Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

Paul wrote

Al,

Not sure how often we'll regen MPS. I thought we'd do a net change daily and
a regen weekly but we might just do a regen daily as it only takes about 25
minutes anyways.

Our MRP buckets are 1 week also.

You raise a lot of other good questions that are really business
best-practices topics for manufactures. Important stuff, but a little beyond
the scope of my MPS implementation. Since MPS/CAP is one of the final
modules we are putting in and we've been running BPCS SFC & CST (along with
most other modules) for years, suffice it to say we have a high degree of
confidence in our inventory accuracy, bom/router & cost data.

I'd sure like to figure out how to "pad" all the manufactured end items with
a day of lead time from the LRDTE (in ECL) though. We've also thought about
adopting a strategy that would ask manufacturing to have all manufactured
items available to ship 5 days prior to the customer request date. (lrdte)

Further reason why I don't want to do the padding in the router. What
happens when management decides we should change the 5 days prior to 3 days
prior? Then I must change every router and alternate router of every item we
manufacture!

Paul