Hello,

Considering that these programs generally use SQL to access the database,
the overrides will actually be useless for those SQL statements in regard to
sharing the open data paths. SQL will share ODPs when appropriate anyhow.
You can see this if you run STRDBG UPDPROD(*YES) against the job (no program
name required) when the job starts. The SQL optimization statements are
shown in the joblog if this is done, and it will state if an ODP is being
re-used or not. Many SQL-specific factors will determine if the ODP created
is reusable or not.

I agree with Steve's suggestions to SQL performance tune the BPCS jobstream.
If you have OGS, this can be done with assistance from the SSA GT Support
Center, and they can research BMRs and assist you with getting the specific
BPCS program in question to run faster, and to enter any new BMR if
required. (Note that the SSA GT Support Center can not assist you in tuning
overall system performance; this type of offering would require SSA GT
Professional Services).

If there is a performance issue with 'ECM' it is most often found in the
BPCS programs which are being called downstream. PRTSQLINF is generally not
the most efficient way to do this analysis, though it can work if the
problem is not complex. It's shortcoming is that it doesn't let you know
which statements are taking the longest to run in the job and so you can
often end up creating extra logicals for the system to maintain, which bring
little overall benefit to the jobstream. DBMON is a better tool to help
analyze performance and can show the statements run in a job which are the
ones that take the longest to complete.

Before doing that, you should also download and follow the BPCS Workfile
Cleanup document on the OGS web site, which is found under the Product
Support heading, Technical Documentation link, and then select Performance
Tuning documents. Follow those instructions to see if that helps the job run
any faster. There are various work files in BPCS that can become full of
'dead' records and, if those dead records are deleted, it will speed
performance in certain applications.

Equally ensure you have all performance-related BMRs for any BPCS programs
ECM is calling. You can find these on OGS listed by program name and
priority level 'D' (D is the priority for performance BMRs), or via calling
the SSA GT Support Center.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT