We have had our share of ECM performance problems; we are on version 6.02
(heavily modified). We did not try to share open data paths - so I won't
comment. I am not sure what is running slow in ECM, but I will comment on some
of the things we did:

For the first few times we posted orders, we posted at about 1 every 3 or 4
minutes. Given we can process up to 800 orders, you see can see we had some
huge run times. We followed the performance tuning guide that was at the bpcs
ssa web site and ensured we had only 2 or 3 open jobques for the order post
jobs.

We reviewed sql access plans (prtsqlinf command) and through experience of
watching the jobs for inbound orders we added the appropriate logicals for the
order entry system. We applied the BPCS performance APAR's issued by IBM.

We post about 4 orders per minute now.

The other modification we did was to run inbound and outbound processes
concurrently within ECM. It took a rather sharp consultant about 3 or 4 weeks
to design, code, implement and test. I was not thrilled about doing this
initially because we looped ECM about once a week (duplicate guids). I have to
say we have had some very positive results here since it was implemented about
1 1/2 years ago. Throughput was improved considerably.