  • Subject: Re: BPCS' NLV product
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:38:08 +0200

I have to say that I was somewhat taken aback by the Anglo-centric tone in
this attached note.

Not everyone speaks English, nor should they have to, especially in their
own countries! We have many many customers with the Spanish language version
of BPCS installed, both in Spain and all over Latin America, including in
Mexico, Columbia and Argentina. When Spanish-speaking users call our North
American Support Center, we have Spanish-speaking consultants who help
translate the call logs. I quite disagree that one can simply load the
English version of BPCS at a non-English speaking site and simply expect
people to 'get used to it'!

And I will mention that our (quite  human) language translators are
certainly not 'machines',  and have gone through BPCS training courses to
get an understanding of the product and what the screens mean so that the
translations are not literal, but will make sense in the language into which
they are translated. Additionally, if translation do errors exist, they can
be corrected via BMRs which update the message literals if they are reported
to the Support Center.

There is certainly no good reason to avoid implementing an NLV at a site
where English is not the first language, since it is not a true separate
'version' of BPCS - the BPCS programs are exactly the same. The message
files for Spanish or any other language, are automatically placed higher in
the library list for those users as they log into BPCS. It is not a big deal
to 'implement' at all and would make the non-English speaking end-user much
happier, I am sure.

Double Byte languages (Chinese, Japanese etc.) are a different matter, as
those programs do undergo a process to double byte enable the display files
and physical files, so BMRS are done separately for those languages since
the program objects and files are actually different from single byte BPCS.
However, with V8, the BMRs for double byte can be generated as easily as for
single byte due to changes in AS/SET, which will make BMR support of DBCS
much faster.

If you have a V6.x BPCS version with an NLV, I also highly recommend getting
BMR 39659 which corrects a problem where the 'Fat Client' applications were
not setting the library list properly for NLV versions, causing extra
configuration work for system administrators to work around this. This is
now corrected by the BMR, so that you can maintain 1 user library for all
languages, rather than having a separate user library for each language.

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT