  • Subject: Re: 405 CD Excess Members
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:18:40 EST

From Al Macintyre

I had some more discoveries or reminders.

I thought it would be useful to have program access to list of valid work
station identities, since BPCS work areas are named after them & our
configuration is periodically evolving, & I figured out how to get that.

DSPOBJD F4 *ALL QSYS *DEVD *OUTFILE
then I checked my new file via RUNQRY *N XDEV & was surprised to see that
they belonged to several different owners like QPGMR & QTCPIP ... the twinax
work stations belong to SSA because of how security is setup for any BPCS
user to be able to access any BPCS object created by another BPCS user.

We have about 25 files with significant excess members.
Here are some bad boys.

File # Members # Valid
ESN 134     20
FMA  96     30
FOD  76     30
FSO  98     20
KEB 215     40

OS/400 will not let me kill an empty member of a file because of logicals
based on it.  IBM solution is to
kill all logicals,
kill members we not want,
reinstate logicals.

I suspect I will be doing this again from time to time, so I will need one CL
per file that I am going to repair, with a DSPDBR before each future clean
out to verify I have got all the source code accounted for correctly.
This seems awful tedious - am I overlooking an obvious alternative?

I started down this road in the first place because I wanted to add a logical
& IBM defaults balked at excess members, so perhaps my solution to my more
immediate needs is to review how to compile logicals without using IBM
defaults.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---