  • Subject: 405 CD Excess Members
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:07:15 EST

From Al Macintyre

I could use a review of what the members named after work stations in various
files are used for & what harm comes from massive excess unused ones & how do
we locate & destroy those that we do not need any more.  Perhaps I do not
care what they are used for, I just want to figure out how to get rid of the
ones that it is safe to get rid of.

I do have a program that lists all the BPCS Data Areas & their contents, with
a break on 1st 2 characters & asterisks identifying any entries different
from the previous one with the same prefix.  This helps us locate work
station application combinations where a user had some kind of unresolved
mishap that perhaps MIS was oblivious to.  I have also been using this report
to assist with identification then manual deletion of work areas on work
station addresses that do not exist any more.

Tonite I created a new logical over FOD because I nneded to be accessing
records excluding "RD" additional description & also excluding a "special
operation" scenario & I needed to be accessing this same deal against more
than one logical in the same program & I got some compile errors associated
with the new logical.  Apparently WRKMBRPDM-14 defaults to 32 members in the
file & our FOD has 76 already & I looked at the list.

In recent months we have been replacing PCs that had 5250 emulation with
Client Access & as we did so we assigned new work station addressing scheme,
and I am wondering if

a) any of the older logicals have some similar ceiling on how many members
they can address & what happens to the user of the member that pushes over
the limit & how can I tell where I have such potential problems.  Like some
DSPFD variant to *OUTFILE & compare member ceiling if not *NOMAX with how
many actually exist.

also when the limit is 32 say ... how does it know which is 33, how do I know
for that matter ... I am looking at my alphabetical list of all the members &
I can see that the *FIRST name to be assigned is beyond the first 32
alphabetically.

b) even though this stuff is empty at end of day, it must eat some disk space
& logically we should get rid of all of those that are for work station
addresses we no longer have, have not been used in months, have zero records

Is there some SSA clean up utility for this that I have managed to overlook?
... I vaguely remember past discussion thread with some name like "those
pesky work station work names"

I am sure FOD is not the only file that is like this.

I know DSPFD *ALL files will help me find files that have multiple members
... in fact I have another program that lists such an *OUTFILE to help me
identify files with garbage records & I guess I could use that to flag me
which files have multiple members.

I am sure that if I wipe out excess work members, BPCS will recreate them as
needed.

I know UPI has BPCS Lite to solve all of this kind of mess, but our strategy
has been to LEARN by doing cleanup ourselves, as our time permits to figure
out stuff that we need to do.  I figure I am a whole lot better off in terms
of BPCS know how thanks to going from one crisis to solve to another one.  I
do not know if Central would have been better off if we just bought a
packaged solution & did not know any of this stuff.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---