Dean made some excellent suggestions

Yes, you do need to check with your tech support to make sure you have the
latest version of any software you are having trouble with.

You might find it useful to visit the archives of past BPCS_L posts at
http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l/index.htm

or of all the lists hosted by midrange.com at
http://archive.midrange.com

and search for INV900 then ITH and possibly REORG

I remember that someone was talking about logicals they added to help INV900
run faster, but you want to be absolutely certain that you are on the same
version of BPCS as this other outfit & have the same conditions, because
adding wrong logicals can result in the opposite of what you want.

Bill also posted a great assist ... but if you are not going to be purging
this stuff, you need to have a budget for more disk space.  Management may
prefer to expend a few hours each month in however long this takes, than deal
with the hardware costs of coping with an excessively large file.

Some BPCS tasks do take a long time to run, and some of them are over in a
snap of the fingers.  Some people suspect something must be wrong with the
ones that are over in seconds & spend a lot of time analysing them to assure
themselves that there is in fact nothing wrong.

We have some User Menus with an H.MM chart down the right hand side which is
the estimated run time for this or that task.  People who do certain tasks
all the time have a feel for how long they take, but for those tasks only
done during physical inventory or other infrequent, this is a useful reminder
which of the jobs on this list will be over in no time, which will take
almost an hour, and which will take the better part of a weekend.

We have added a few Query/400 which count #s of types of records in some
files & output totals only.  This is because there is some stuff we are doing
wrong not closed loop so some transaction types never get closure, because we
just closed a facility & I do not want my co-workers to be purging millions
of records manually, and because there are some types of historical records
that BPCS never purges, irrespective of what SYS800 says.

You might want to review how long you want stuff stored per SYS800.
If your company has to have a big backlog of history, then you also have to
have a long time or a powerful computer or both to process it.

We are on BPCS 405 CD mixed mode with 365 days of ITH.
We have to run INV900 dedicated mode (no one else on BPCS at same time)
It takes several hours.

There is also the topic of general computer performance.
Currently we are using *CALC in which the 400 resizes various resources
according to dynamic demand.
We know that when some job like INV900 is running that needs a lot of
resource to get done in a reasonable time period, that not having the printer
running at the same time means that *CALC takes some resource from spool
control & gives it to batch control.
400 Performance Management is a gigantic topic somewhat outside the scope of
BPCS_L but inside the scope of MIDRANGE_L.

Yes Feb 8 is Al Birthday
Born 8 Feb 1944 in Aberdeen Scotland
Translation = now 57

+---