Debra,

In a message dated 2/8/01 8:56:26 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
Debra.McPherson@Hickory-Farms.com writes:

> I am on the BPCS-L list but can't remember how to post a question.  I have
> read it many times and remember your e-mail addresses from the m any times
> that I have seen you answer questions.  Hope it is not against any rules to
> submit a question directly to the three of you.....

Permitted as long as it is a question and not a solicitation.  In the future,
please send these to BPCS-L@MIDRANGE.COM.

>  We are currently having problems with very long runtimes of the INV900
> program during month-end.  I have heard there is a commonly implemented
> modification to this program that sets aside the purging/sequencing of the
> ITH until other times of the month.

While I do not doubt that such an animal as a "commonly implemented
modification" exists, delaying purging and resequencing is certainly not
going to speed the performance of INV900 in the long run.  Indeed, the sheer
number of records in ITH is probably what is causing your performance
problem.  IMO, you need to do four things in the order I list, stopping when
you achieve the desired result.  First and foremost, view OGS or contact
Helpline to see if there is a fix for your problem.  If there is no fix, you
need to run the STRDBMON command against INV900 while it's running with
*DETAIL to an outfile, then query the outfile searching for QQIDXA set to "Y"
and create a logical file based upon the recommended key (you may need to do
this a second and even third time before you achieve the desired result).
Third, you need to ensure that INV900 is not running in a subsystem with too
little memory assigned to it via WRKSYSSTS and viewing memory pools via
WRKSBSD for the INV900 subsystem.  Finally, if all else fails, perform an
RGZPFM against ITH (using the aforementioned logical file, if available) in
order to compress the ITH data.

>  We have very limited technical resources with little BPCS experience.  Any
> help that you can give would be greatly appreciated and the more specific
it
> could be the better.

Please feel free to contact me if these suggestions (past the first) do not
make sense to you.  I am sure that the others you wrote will advise the
same...

Good Luck!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"The military doesn't start wars.  Politicians start wars." -- William
Westmoreland
+---