  • Subject: Re: BPCS CD and the Euro. Definitive Answer
  • From: Michel MAUREL <m.maurel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:56:13 +0100

Hello again,

here my answer to your point :

The migration from BPCS CD towards BPCS CDE may be complicate according to the level of specifics and add-ons you may have. It cannot be a good solution only to convert to Euro (too expensive, too long now,we are end January). You should look for a tool which alow you to convert to Euro on your present version.

The SSA native tool perform the euro conversion, but with some disadvantages (collected from the BPCS Users clubs in France and from the only single experience in France we know about), of which I will describe two :

1°) General ledger is converted but not balanced after conversion.
That means that the journal entries do not balance after Big Bang conversion towards Euro (file GJD). For instance, suppose you had 3 lines on your journal entry in your base currency (I use FRF for example) :
expense     debit 100
vat             debit  20
liability                            credit 120
Total                    120              120

After conversion in Euro you may have :
expense     debit 15,25
vat             debit  3,05
liability                            credit 18,29
Total                   18,30              18,29

From Live experiences on our converted customers, that means an average between 18% and 25% of journal entries that do not balance (Nexgen tool add the extra line in debit or credit to balance the journal entry).

Thus you will have to program an additionnal application to re-balance your general ledger.

2°) Conversion time not known
Another disadvantage is that SSA tool will stop during the conversion if there is a mistake in the database. You will correct the mistake, re-run the conversion, and again it will stop at the next mistake, and so on. You should look at other software (such as Nexgen) which will tell you ALL the mistakes before you run the conversion,. This is a very important issue because it is the only way to be sure of how long your conversion will take.

That the two main points I wishes to push forward. Do not hesitate to e-mail me directly for additionnal comments ans information.

Hope this helps.

(By the way, ask Novartis France why they have given up the SSA solution and for further information on Nexgen : they are Live Euro by now thanks to this tool)

Michel MAUREL

vincent.byrne@ah.Novartis.com a écrit :

Has anyone any experience or comments on:-

*       Migrating from BPCS CD REL02 to 'BPCS CDE' (Euro Enabled Version)

*       Running 'EUR for CDE' the Euro Data Conversion Utility - to convert
the CDE database from the previous National Base Currency to new Base
Currency Euro.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks, Vincent
+---