From: owner-bpcs-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-bpcs-l@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Genyphyr Novak
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 12:34 PM
To: BPCS-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Performance

Hi Rob,

I thnk that much of your questin can be answered in OGS Online databases or
documentation.

1. The Net Changes for 6.1.00 show that "COM" does not exist in 6.1.01. This
was replaced by a thin client Order Entry. The term 'COM' specifically
refers to an older 'fat client' implementation which was in 6002 and 6004.
The details of the changes are listed in the Net Change document, available
on OGS.

2. Searching the BMRs for 'Parallel' shows several things, basically that
the Parallel options do nothing in the new Order Entry interface. Parallel
processing options were left on the screens, but a BMR 51998 exists to ask
they be removed. They affect nothing. You can obtain BMR 55960 to update
your help text for this panel so that it says that the options do not work.
Two open Enhancement request E BMRs 51187 and 43094 asks that the options
which used to exist for COM be used to do parallel for different functions
instead, to improve performance.

3. Check out the ORDERPOST job description. I believe this may be the one
which has QINTER listed on it and this job description is used when posting
orders is set to BATCH. You can use this to set up another job queue to
direct those jobs to.

4. There is a BMR to disallow the following combination in the User
Preferences for Order Entry:
Processing preferences:
 Post Mode               1 (0=Interactive, 1=Batch, 2=Parallel)
 Print Mode              1 (0=Interactive, 1=Batch)

You should set Print Mode to Interactive if your Post Mode is set to batch.
This is to avoid a 2nd batch job getting submitted to do the printing. The
2nd job does not get submitted with the name of the workstation, so this
results in a bug that the Workstation data area is not used to set the
proper output queue for printing, and it will use the system default printer
in the SSASYS data area instead. The BMR is 56772 and would have to be
escalated.

5. If you use Promotions and Deals heavily, there is an outstanding
performance BMR regarding the coding of the declaration of the LINEP cursor
in the PRO770B program. A change to the SQL statement plus one logical is
required to make this run much faster. The BMR is 56177. I suggest you
contact Helpline regarding this BMR and escalating it or obtaining the
workaround. If you have ADK, you can correct this statement yourself and
create the logical until the BMR is completed.

Hope this helps. If not, then I suggest you run some DBMON to document the
issue more thoroughly and open a call with the Helpline.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA Global Technologies