From: owner-bpcs-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-bpcs-l@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Chick Doe
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 1:35 PM
To: BPCS-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Performance

here's a couple of comments that we have learned. we allow only one active
job in the QINTER job queue. this is where the ORD701B and CFG640B jobs
(some of them) run. there are a couple of reasons for this. one is to insure
that the ORD701B
job actually completes before any of the CFG640B jobs that is submits start
to process. the second reason is to insure that only one CFG640B job runs at
a time. the last step of the CFG640B job is a cost roll-up. if you process
an order with multiple configured lines, and these lines are for similar
products, you could get two cost roll-ups running at the same time for
related products and that is an open invitation to create duplicate cost
records in the CMF file.

can you answer a question for me? when you perform a reconfiguration using
CFG390, where does that CFG640B job run. in our system (V6.04) the CFG640B
jobs that get submitted via CFG390 run in the QBATCH job queue. this is the
job queue that the interactive bpcs program submit jobs to. on our system
QBATCH can run multiple jobs. thus it is possible for multiple CFG640B jobs
to be running simultaneously, either multiple jobs in QBATCH (via CFG390) or
one in QBATCH and on in QINTER (via ORD701B). either way, this invites
corruption of the CMF file.

i have asked SSA why this is and cannot get an answer. we will be converting
to 6.1.01 soon. does these problems still exist or has SSA addressed them?

chick doe
barton instrument systems

>>> stagis@fansteelvrwesson.com 11/30/00 08:29AM >>>
BPCS V6.1.01, OS/400 V4R4 current cum packs, I guess.

To all:  On panel ORD820D-06 (Order Parameters) - how do the parallel
validation and posting parameters affect system performance?  I'm still
having issues with this box.  If a user posts a large (like 25 line) order
or a couple users are trying to post orders at the same time, the WRKSYSSTS
display will show act-to-wait numbers that can range over 100,000.  With the
system usually running around 50-100 in that column, it's quite shocking to
watch it 'burp' that high.  I have a commensurate lag in performance during
the time the orders are posting.

With the configurator CFG640B and Order Post ORD701B programs being
submitted to  a job queue that feeds QINTER, I can all of a sudden show a
dozen or more CFG640B's and ORD701B's either in an active or LCKW state.
What do I do?