  • Subject: Re: Standard Cost Change
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:12:45 EDT

> If you query the '#' transactions in ITH file (by part number in question)
>  and look at the ttdte and thuser and thtime you should be able to find out
>  who generated the cost roll.

I have seen the "#" from CST100 in BPCS 405 CD ... do these "#" also come
from all other CST updates?  Do they only occur if something changed or just
if CST program touched the item?  Is there a field that tells us WHICH
program touched the costs?

> do you have users entering costs and performing cost roll-ups, perhaps
> unknown to the mis dept?

Kusman Lim needs to tell this group what the PROBLEM is that leads to the
question.  Have you found some questionable costs & how do you know the
system is not right?

Do you have some WEIRD costs that might be coming from bugs in the software
that only you run, or do you have some cost changes that are occurring
outside of the normal flow of activity?

Yes I have found bugs in CST600 & other CST programs & reported them to SSA &
been told it supposed to work that way (give wrong answers to math & generate
mountains of garbage print outs).

Check your security ... who all is authorized to run which CST programs that
can change standard costs ... who all can change BPCS files outside of BPCS
programs

Check your assumptions ... we found that by explicitly saying things like
"Well all our costs should be BY FACILITY;"
"All the values in all cost fields should be a positive number or zero."

then running lists of costs that were outside what should be, we were finding
lots of records outside our assumptions, that had been messing up reports
built on those certain assumptions.

While going through the software logic, you come to a field "Oh we do not use
that" ... check it out ... perhaps someone by mistake got data into that
field & that is causing some of your problems, especially if SYS800 says we
aint using that but it got populated anyway, so the programs that use SYS800
parameters hide it & those that don't are now contaminated.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---