  • Subject: Re: About BPCS V6.1.01 MM
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:34:10 -0500

Hi Dean,

Not sure who told you only 10 paths are considered, but it is definitely not
correct. Maybe that is a very old implementation of SQL, as I know this has
not been the case for at least a couple of years. I attended a recent SQL
Optimization course at Rochester for 5 days, and what Goran says is indeed
the case - all are considered unless or until you hit the time out in the
System Values.

As regards work files, and why are there no logicals against them. You are
right - they are not supposed to have any records in them other than current
in-process transactions. There is a document and some mention on OGS in the
FAQ section about which work files to clear out on a regular basis. I know
SSA Services inthe UK had been giving out a document, and then I took it and
re-formatted it and added some things to it and gave it to the AS/400
Technical Helpline to give to customers who call in with performance issues.
It is called "BPCS_work_file_cleanup.doc" and has been in draft status,
which is why it wasn't posted to OGS.  Right now, I am in the process of
getting it approved to be posted to OGS Online. I will let everyone know
when this is done. In the meantime, there are some FAQ entries that list
files to clear for either Order Entry or CEA.

The program design was that the work files weren't _supposed_ to fill up
with records, so no one had planned on that, and that is why programs
weren't written to clear them. Bad planning or poor coding - at any rate the
question is what to do about it now.

I highly recommend clearing the work file and NOT building logicals against
it, as this will be the fastest performance.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA Global Technologies

> Goran,
> Hmmm.  On the one hand, I beg to disagree.  We were always told that the
> query optimizer considered only the ten most recently created access paths
on
> the AS/400 prior to starting its own IDX function.  On the other hand,
newer
> versions of OS/400 have improved SQL performance, so the optimization
rules
> may have changed.  Guess I'll be visiting Mr's. Soltice and Sears at the
next
> COMMON conference...
>
> You never really addressed the lack of intuitive logical files story on
work
> files.  I understand the _THEORY_ -- work files should have few records
and
> thus should not require optimization.  However, at the few full-client
> accounts at which I've worked, the records in ECHW have tended to remain
> above the 10K level.  No programs to clear these out, no logicals to
optimize
> performance.  What's up with _THAT_?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dean Asmussen
> Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
> Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
> E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com
>
> "Everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time." -- Steven Wright

+---