  • Subject: RE: Seperate Libraries
  • From: "Lacelle, Marc" <LACELLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:40:37 -0400

Hi Ho.

        Consistency is the main reason. BPCS environments are based on
hierarchical
        structures. In common English: When calling a program or using a
data file it will search
        through your library list starting from the top to the bottom.

        A standard library list looks like this.

        BPCSTCPIP (if you are using CEA or NLV)
        BPCSXXXUSR      (startup programs, nothing else)
        BPCSXXXUO       (your custom programs)
        BPCSXXXUF       (your custom data files)
        BPCSXXXPTF      (cumm PTF)
        BPCSXXXF                (base bpcs data files)
        BPCSXXXO                (base bpcs objects)

        For this example, lets use INV500D1 (this object has been moded a
few times over the years)

        When using INV500D1 in a bpcs environment it will first search the
TCPIP lib and move on
        to the next library which is the USR lib. It will do this until it
finds INV500D1 in the PTF lib.
        Please note: INV500D1 also lives in the O library. This INV500D1 is
the base object (no mods).
        The same method is used for data files, which are in the F library.

        If your IT staff would need to mod the INV500D1 program. You would
copy the INV500D1
        from the PTF lib to your UO library and make the changes there.
Always keep the original object in its original library.

        You can remove objects from your O library that are present in your
PTF library. BUT ONLY THOSE OBJECTS.

        For the minimal room on your disk that you reclaim, I for one would
not do this.

        I hope this helps

        Marc Lacelle
        Royal Canadian Mint