Al makes an interesting point, in that it kind of depends on your definition of
"scrap".  As a food ingredient manufacturer, we use the scrap factor in the bill
of material file to define our expected production loss ... i.e., loss from
evaporation, etc.  By putting in a scrap factor of 1.04 on a bill component, we
know we will use 4% more of this material for this item to make the correct
yield.  We also have rejected product, usually caused by an error during the
manufacturing process, that is accounted for as we JIT the shop order, which
sounds like what Al is calling "scrap".   How you define "scrap" helps define
how you use and account for it.

MacWheel99@aol.com on 08/07/2000 01:30:05 PM

Please respond to BPCS-L@midrange.com