  • Subject: Re: IWI and ILI Imbalances
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:05:30 EDT

From Al Macintyre BPCS 405 CD mixed mode OS/400 V4R3

I doubt that I am being as helpful as you want, but perhaps you will get some
ideas from this.

As I understand BPCS jobs running in batch or interactive, there is no
difference in what gets updated, or what flags get set with respect to the
BPCS data base.  The difference is in how messages are communicated to the
user & the precise flow of the CL.  However, because some code is supposedly
duplicated in the interactive vs. batch sections, and because it is
perpetually updated by BMRs, there is a risk of something in one place that
should be in both places ... what we call a bug.

I have had occasion to stick my nose in some of the BPCS code & found what I
thought to be bugs & reported them to SSA & sometimes they agree with my
diagnosis & sometimes not.

At Central Industries, our problem is a combination of not getting a Round
TUIT on obtaining all the BPCS manuals that we know about & not getting a
Round TUIT on reading all the BPCS manuals that we have purchased & having
turnover of personnel in which the newbies are taught how to do the job by
oldies who forget that we created an in-house manual just for shipping how to
do the job step by step to take care of every possible eventuality & as new
scenarios are discovered, the manual is supposed to be updated appropriately
with all copies of the manual updated in the correct ISO style.

Our operators are supposed to post interactively.  The reason we do not want
them doing batch is that we have workers who are not sufficiently technically
literate to realize that when you send a job to JOBQ the time it will take to
execute might be anywhere from seconds to hours, depending on what else is in
the JOBQ.

We are at risk of people sending stuff to JOBQ, then ASSUMING that their jobs
got done instantaneously, then taking the NEXT step, then the job actually
runs from the JOBQ out of sequence.

Another problem with JOBQ used by folks at the bottom of the technical
computer literacy ladder is if there is a conflict for access to some record.
 If you are interactive, the on-line job stops & there is an error message,
and the user involved never remembers what to do, or how to interpret the
summary, or that there is second level help text, but at least they know the
job hung & they call for help from one of our more technically literate
individuals, who calls for help from someone higher on that ladder, and we
get the job to a satisfactory conclusion not long after it actually halted.

I was over-ruled on the notion of adding a section to our user manual on what
to do if you get an error message, so that the instructions would be
formatted in a consistent manner, with an index tab whose existance might be
easier to remember.

When a job hangs on the JOBQ it can hang for hours before someone notices it,
then the person who copes with the problem might not resolve it in a data
base friendly manner or be able to communicate effectively with the owner of
the job what the possible consequences were of this task being abnormally
terminated.

There has been talk about creating a separate JOBQ to be called QSHIPPING
then changing the work station defaults of all the devices in the shipping
departments to default to this JOBQ intended for the exclusive use of the
shipping department.  That would solve the problem of folks in shipping
departments sending stuff to JOBQ that normally executes in a matter of
seconds but several times a month gets behind a collection of jobs that in
aggregate will take an hour or more.

It will not solve it for folks who help out the shipping department using
display stations outside that department, or resolve error message recovery.

I was overruled on having pages added to the user manual instructing in the
use of WRKSBMJOB or WRKUSRJOB to verify your JOBQ job got to satisfactory
conclusion before starting next job.

We have added to our BPCS USER Menus for individuals with no command line
authority some of the IBM commands that tell them about their work that are
not on the BPCS Pop-Up Menu.

We have modified appearance of our Shipping Documents & any time further
modification desired, there are a number of ways that we can do testing to
find out if latest mod is quite right, before actually implementing it.

>  From:    klvanhorn@lozier.com

>  You're right it came from the PO Number entered in order entry, then
>  populated TCOM when we shipped the order in ORD570.  Our B transactions are
>  the result of ORD570 not INV500, but the result is the PO Number is in
TCOM.

>  I am still grasping at straws here, but is it possible we have some
>  parameters set wrong or the program is timing out with only the ILI being
>  posted and not the IWI???
>
>  Our operators are supposed to post in batch... by posting interactive could
>  that cause the posting to abort before posting to IWI/IIM?  Could some
other
>  process interfere with a interactive job but not effect a batch job?
>
>  Does someone with more of a techie background know the answer?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Kent

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor