  • Subject: BIL500 Job submission problems
  • From: Mark Ramsden <markeramsden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:29:20 -0700 (PDT)

Wendy and company,

Have you considered the impact of workstation member
conflicts/duplications ?

BPCS often relies on the workstation id being used as
the name for a physical file member in which it holds
‘temporary’ data. This goes back to the old days of
‘SNA, twinax attached 5250 devices’, when a user would
turn up for work each day and log-on to the system
using the same workstation identifier as he/she always
used. Nowadays with the advent of TCP/IP and other
new-fandangled connectivity methods, unless you
specifically tell the AS/400 what you want to call
your workstation the user will be logged-on to a
virtual device which has a name like ‘QPADEVxxxn’.
‘QPADEV’s’ are allocated on a first-come, first-served
basis to the users as they log-on. So one day a user
could be logged-on to QPADEV0001 and the next day be
logged-on to QPADEV0006 (at this point you should also
think about implications with the workstation data
area!)  Most shops that I have worked at will not
allow BPCS users to sign-on if they are using a
dynamic workstation id, this can easily be policed by
having a user/workstation id table on the server or
hard coding the workstation into the client
communications software.  Just some food for thought -
Mark

We have a problem; a user can submit these jobs from a
device only a limited number of times and then the job
begins to go haywire. We then move them to a different
terminal and they can submit the jobs once again for a
period of time without a hitch and then for some
reason it begins to go haywire again.
We have talked to SSA and they suggested it might be
caused by our emulation package so we switched to
another package (from RUMBA to NetManage) on the
offending machines with no change.