To all and I apologize for the length of this email but it takes space to
explain what is wrong & what's been done:

We are running ver.6.0.02plf, c/s, Mar'98 cum on an AS/400 model S20 with
dual processors, V4R4M0, & all the latest cum, database, hiper, y2k,
performance tools, & client access ptf's.

As part of our "day end" process, I bring down IP as a means of keeping
people from being logged on while I do a backup of the system & BPCSF data
library.

Since going from V4R2M0 to V4R4M0 this last weekend, I have been having
trouble with my production machine.  I was baby sitting it last night & was
able to determine that when I shut down TCP/IP, the NEWI daemons "peg" both
processors & the IP shut down takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to end.
Looking at the job log, all I see is a blank time gap from 23:16:57 to
00:57:23 when nothing is logged.  When I start my "day end", I change the
job attributes to LOG(4 00 *SECLVL) LOGCLPGM(*YES).  What I did last night
after seeing the processors peg was to WRKACTJOB SBS(SUBSYSN) and kill the
two NEWI jobs that had the system running at over 100% utilized.  As soon as
I did that, the rest of my day end process continued normally.  Is there a
"better way" to stop all the daemons running?

These same programs (BPCS & "day end" ) run on my test box (a single
processor 720) running the same software & ptf levels & it woks just fine.
Obviously, there is a difference someplace - but where.

I wrote all these programs about 2 ½  years ago when we first started with
BPCS & IP.  Being a novice to both at the time, the way I chose to do it was
stop IP.  But I also stop the BPCS subsystem.  We do have a major VB
application that gets at the BPCS data & the only way I have to lock them
out is to bring down IP.

Searching through OGS, the only reference I found to NEWI/OMS was BMR 45731
which doesn't really apply to my current problem but is something I also
have a problem with.  It was reported on 6.0.02 & fixed for 6.0.04 & 6.1 -
no mention of a fix for 6.0.02.  I filed a HelpLine incident & now I wait
for them to respond.

I'm tired of waiting & am looking for some input from others in the BPCS
community as to their possible solutions/questions/comments, etc.

I also logged an incident with IBM & after working with them for a couple of
hours yesterday, I was told to call my ERP vendor.  According to all the
logs we looked at, IP was doing what it was supposed to be without any
errors.

Thanks - Dennis

"One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be
done." -- Marie Curie
"I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by."  Dilbert's Words Of Wisdom:

Dennis Munro
Badger Mining Corporation
dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com <mailto:dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com>
(920) 361-2388