  • Subject: Re: Change of accounting year
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:21:24 EDT

>  >  From:    nick@galaxy.ltd.uk (Nick)

>  >  My company has been 'merged' with another and
>  > we must change our accounting year (V4.05CD).
>  >
>  >  Currently our year runs from July to June
>  >  and we are in accounting year 2000.
>  >  The new set up runs from January to December and
>  >  from January 1 2000 we must be in accounting year 2000.
>  >
>  >  Does anyone know what must be done to accomplish this?
>  >
>  >  Nick Balchin

2nd from Al Macintyre V405 CD

< s n i p >

I checked further.

I had suggested several possible approaches, primarily:
an 18 month combination transition fiscal year 2000 from July 1999 thru Dec
2000; but also a new environment for the fiscal rules switch; a Y2K-like
conversion, changing current fiscal from 2000 to 1999 & data on all prior
fiscals being reduced by 1 year, with the current fiscal becoming July 1999
thru Dec 1999 - which you might not want to do if you have already posted
stuff dated 2000.

A 4th idea might be a separate BPCS company within the existing environment.
Period Master is defined by Company and Fiscal Year, so you could have
several companies with different fiscal calendars.  A lot of stuff is tied
toi company, requiring some research to figure out how to transfer all the
contents of your files from the old fiscal company to the new fiscal company.
 This is like the retroactive conversion of fiscal year idea.  Not something
I think is easily accomplished.

Depending on which approach is taken, there will be masses of excess work &
chaos for personnel in various departments of the company ... MIS &
Accounting is unavoidable ... ideally you want a solution which is not going
to also do that in other corporate departments.

>  I vaguely recall that BPCS has 13 fiscal months ...
>  we use the 13th month for
>  adjustments after Year-End that we found out too late to include
>  in the 12th official month.

BPCS provides 13 fiscal months and a 14th for audit / end-year adjustments.
SSA Help reccommends that once you start processing a fiscal year, do not
reduce the number of periods that are in it.

>  A key question is whether there is any upper limit on the time duration
>  that GLD105 allows to be within a BPCS fiscal month.

The Help on GLD105 does not give any indication that BPCS does not support a
fiscal period of say as long as several months.  Every place I have ever
worked has had fiscal months of a duration approximately that of a calendar
month.  I suspect that Generally Accepted Accounting rules may play a role in
this.

Thus, whatever solution is selected, it has to work for BPCS, the Government
Regulations, Accounting Profession, Auditors acceptability ... I wish you
luck.

  Al Macintyre

+---