  • Subject: Re: Change of accounting year
  • From: Lmittman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:05:00 EDT

Nick:

The need to change fiscal years is getting more common as company mergers
continue.  I have done this several times before using the following
methodology:

Summary of Business Need and Conceptual Design:

1.  The business requirement is to change the Fiscal Year definition.
Therefore, the correspondence between Calendar Month and Fiscal Year/Period
must be altered.

2.  The following partial table illustrates what must occur:

Calendar             Old Fiscal Yr          New Fiscal Yr
(MM/YYYY)          ( Prd/Yr)                 ( Prd/Yr)
07/1999                  01/2000                 07/1999
08/1999                  02/2000                 08/1999
...                             ...                          ...

12/1999                  06/2000                 12/1999
01/2000                  07/2000                 01/2000
...                             ...                          ...

3.  The approach is to actually change the data values in the BPCS database
according to the table above.  In summary, the following types of BPCS Files
would need to be converted:

a.  G/L Transaction Files - Journal Header (GJH) and Journal Detail (GJD)
The Fiscal Year and Period must be changed.

b.  Sub-System Transaction Files that store the G/L Fiscal Year/Period (e.g.
Accounts Receivables (RAR), A/P Files, etc.)
The Fiscal Year and Period must be changed.

c.  G/L Master (GGM), G/L Statistics Master (GSM) - These files contain sets
of buckets (i.e. arrays) for each Period for Last Year, This Year, and Next
Year, as well as for Budgets.  The values in these buckets must be re-aligned
according to the new Fiscal Year.

In addition, the Balance Forward for Asset and Liability Accounts must be
adjusted to reflect the new Fiscal Year definition.  The Retained Earnings
Account must also be adjusted for the net of Income and Expense Accounts
according to the new Fiscal Year definition.

d.  The Current Fiscal Year in the G/L Company Master (RCO) must be changed.
NOTE:  This field controls the Offset value on the G/L Period Master (GPM)
file.   (see the next point).

e.  G/L Period Master (GPM) - The Start and End Dates for the Fiscal Year
must be changed to reflect the new Fiscal Year definition.  Also, it is
critical that the Offset values stored on the GPM file be changed to point to
the correct GGM buckets after the re-alignment.

Nick, the above steps outline the methodology that can be used to accomplish
the results that you require.  There are several other decisions and
considerations that may alter this approach depending on the needs of your
Finance Dept.  It is also critical to carefully coordinate the conversion
process.  Hopefully, this outline will point you in the right direction.  T

Please feel free to contact me with any questions about this approach.  I can
be reached via e-mail or at my office (847) 831-9388.

Thanks.

Les Mittman
BSI Consulting, Inc.
(Specializing in BPCS implementation and support for 17 years)

***  This reply is in response to the e-mail message below.  ***
Subj:    Change of accounting year