  • Subject: Re: Shop base Manufacturing
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:10:56 EDT

       [George Sagan]
> With BPCS you will not get a flow where the Sales Order, Shop Order, Packing
>  List and Invoice all have the same number. You will get separate documents
>  that are relationally linked to the previous documents.

     [Al Macintyre]
George gave us a dynamite big picture on how this all fits together.

       [George Sagan]
>  I believe there is a way to trigger automatic creation of a
>  shop order at the time of order entry. This gives power to the order entry
>  clerks that in many environments would be reserved for production planners.

    [Al Macintyre]
I heard that too, but do not see it referenced in the 405 CD documentation -
is it a V6 feature or an add-on offering?  It is possible that this is in
some BPCS application we are not using, such as FAS or RCS.  We currently
release our shop orders 2 of the 3 ways that we know about:

MRP launches what is needed on a grand scale
JIT can also launch but we are only using pieces of JIT & not this piece

Manual launches emergency customer orders & I am thinking we might want to
explore this alternative - the sales person calls the production planner with
the specifics, then the production planner launches the order - I am thinking
that if the order entry could do it, only for emergency situations, then the
shop order might already have a lot of the specifics that we now have to
communicate interpersonally

      [George Sagan]
>. There is no direct drill down from a sales order into a shop order
>   from the sales order inquiry screens.

    [Al Macintyre]
However from MRP inquiry on some item number in production you can peg to the
sales order it is for & see the progress that is being made on the shop order
in terms of materials & sub-components, but the best picture is from a
mixture of inquiries.  SFC inquiry gives you detail on an individual order,
and there is a way to view BOM of the part to see where you have bottlenecks
in the planned arrival of raw materials.

There's ways to get data in & out of BPCS vs. Customers thru EDI - check the
other threads
there are also AS/400 products to get Spool file reports & special forms into
e-mail - check the other threads
There's a module for repetitive customer scheule releases, which we are not
using

BPCS_L is wonderful in that Q & A inspire other thoughts by BPCS users as to
what is doable.

We have had customers that wanted the bar code label on the product to
include the invoice number that this shipment was being billed on, because
they wanted to pay us based on the merchandise they received, rather than pay
the invoice.  What we had been doing prior to this point was to apply the bar
code to the product packaging, get all the shipping information on the
shipping documents, ship the product out the door, then at end of day do the
invoicing, so at time of bar code application we do not know what the invoice
number will be.

We solved this on BPCS/36 but have not yet addressed the BPCS 405
modifications that might be needed.  Basically, we figured out how to use the
same number for invoice and shipping document - it was assigned at shipping
time, so the bar code application could get it, then the invoice used the
shipping number instead of assigning a new number.  In this case we had to
have a bunch of invoices on the same customer, instead of one consolidating a
bunch of shipments of related parts on the same day.

However,  Unbeaten Path's JIT Billing design makes it feasible to print
invoices as your delivery vehicle is being loaded. After shipments are
confirmed and bill of lading information is entered, orders are released in a
batch for invoicing. Two
tedious invoice-by-invoice manual steps are skipped The design preserves
internal control and information content while making it practical to print a
truckload of bills of lading and invoices just-in-time.

In BPCS 405 CD, the way we are currently doing shipping, the shipping
document number is not automatically created - our people have to key in a
unique number & what they are doing is 1st 2 digits are the warehouse
shipping from, then the rest is a unique number that they manually assign
based on the last one they assigned.  Sometimes there is human error.  They
want a system that automatically assigns shipping document number, like we
have with various other number systems in BPCS.  This is complicated by the
sheer size of ORD590's family of programs, the fact that we do not have
AS/Set, and my level of AS/400 competence here.

The users are anxious for this, but will just have to wait until my IBM
education has further progressed into my brain.

When we ship abroad, they need a pro-forma invoice that includes a lot of
info about the shipment, that we normally do not know until we are ready to
make the shipment, such as weight & dollars, so we have a process of
pre-figuring what it will be in those cases.  This includes the sample unit
weight of the product, which is normally used for counting raw materials that
might have 1,000 in a bin & we count 50 or some number to average out, but
the end product has like torn off strips of masking tape, so we cannot
scientifically predict the final weight from all the ingredients.

I was exploring this option for cases of errors in the shipping department.
I thought that if we could get an approximate value of weight from the BOM
multiplied against sample weights of all the ingredients, there should be an
estimate of the weight of the final part - some place, I forget where we put
it, we have the count of how many are supposed to be packed per carton.  So
from this, someone in shipping would key in - we have 250 cartons of part-X &
the math program says that should weigh about this poundage - well shipping
was supposed to weigh that for the trucking manifest - and we would allow
some margin for the materials to seal the cartons - either the true total
weight is in the right ball park or it is not - if it is not then you have
not allowed for the skid that all of this is on, or the cartons were not
counted right, or the part that is in there is not the part that you thought
it was.

We are still debating this idea

Al
+---