  • Subject: Re: Shop base Manufacturing
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:25:29 EDT

>  From:        kcthai@nemic.co.jp (kcthai)

>  My company  is planning to use BPCS ver 6.1   as our ERP system. Our
>  existing
>   system uses shop number  to trace the whole manufacturing process.
>
>      i.e.         1. Receive order from customer
>                    2. create a new shop for that order
>                    3. Kitting material for the shop
>                    4. load the production line for the shop
>                    5.Trace the work in progress of the shop
>                    6. Create invoice and shipping memo for the shop.
>
>  I want to know whether  BPCS cover this type of  manufacturing process ?

          [Al Macintyre]
We get the same work done with BPCS 405 but the process is a bit different.
There are Customer Orders, Shop Orders, Purchase Orders, Planning Orders

Also check out the contemporary thread RE: (no subject) & the recent thread
on conversion from BPCS/36, for warnings about what can happen if you do not
plan carefully to do it right from the start, which includes proper education
in what you are doing.  BPCS runs well when it is managed well by people who
understand their BPCS jobs.

>      i.e.         1. Receive order from customer
>                    2. create a new shop for that order

We create a CUSTOMER ORDER - this is the requirements that drive MRP & from
MRP we can launch SHOP ORDERS and PURCHASE ORDER requirements

We are a make-to-order job shop, which means that customers are constantly
calling in changes to orders they just gave us a few days ago.

We use blanket orders heavily, in which we are making the same thing for the
customer with different combinations of date due of what quantity.

There are many ways we are able to track & correlate what was shipped to a
customer when on an on-going requirement.  One of our problems is the ability
to track performance against the original requirements, when they get changed
both when the customer alters requirements, and to correct shipping errors.

>                    3. Kitting material for the shop
>                    4. load the production line for the shop

Our Shop Orders contain detailed what material is needed to produce the parts
and what routing details are involved, and there are associated reports
identifying what raw material that we might not have been able to order in
time to meet the customer needs, and the impacts on capacity planning so as
to efficiently run our production lines.

We recently made some modifications to improve the speed at which
sub-assemblies get re-united where needed at higher parent levels on the shop
floor.  This did not affect what BPCS is doing - it is merely "tailoring"
appearance of the shop labor ticket.

>                    5.Trace the work in progress of the shop

As labor & inventory is reported, there are inquiries to check on the status
of our various sub-assemblies & where we are in the production.  We have also
added some modifications to enhance this picture.

>                    6. Create invoice and shipping memo for the shop.

Shipping is off of the CUSTOMER ORDER using inventory that was produced by
the SHOP ORDER but we do not use data collection & thus there can be a lag in
reporting inventory production for customer requirements shipped out the same
day & BPCS is able to handle this, driving inventory temporarily negative,
until the production reporting catches up with the transactions associated
with the merchandise going out the back door.

There are documents that travel with the merchandise to the customer, and
after the shipping function is completed, billing creates invoice & various
receivables.

Customer Order is relieved
Shop Orders go away when no longer needed
We have the whole cycle of MRP II / ERP with BPCS

It works for us with Inventory accuracy in the high 90 percentile, but some
steps are a bit cumbersome & I don't know how well it will work for BPCS
customers that choose a different mixture of application modules than we
selected.

From:   jaliberty@lozier.com

> It does not. New numbers in every module -- order entry, invoicing, shop
orders, etc.

The order numbers are assigned by the system, within some rules that we can
manipulate.  Most orders have a provision for a reference field so that you
can peg them back to customer purchase order or whatever to enhance our
ability to track why we are making this & the progress on stuff when a
customer calls to ask.

From:   dslessman@nationalelectrical.com (Dwight Slessman)
From:   gsagen@primesourcetech.com (George Sagen)

Dwight & George said it well

We have sometimes wanted to modify the point at which the numbers are issued
so as to include some embedded digits associated with the warehouse in which
the production is to be done, or the facility, or the user who launched it,
to help group this stuff in various reports, but the inquiry filters are very
powerful, as is query when generating home brew reports.

From:   Stjean@rcmint.ca (St.Jean, Pierre)

I agree 100% with this advice on knowing what you are doing before you do it.

Al Macintyre
+---