  • Subject: Re: inventory history retention
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:06:43 EDT

Some great tips here - thanks

> Subj:  RE: performance
>  From:        LACELLE@rcmint.ca (Lacelle, Marc)

> Lisa your month end job INV900 should be done every month and not every
year.
> I word of advise when running INV900 say no to delete ITH records.
> When we submit the INV900 month end job it only takes 30 seconds.
> Saying no to delete ITH records does speed up the process
> but also does not decrease the size of your ITH file.
>  This may be a problem if your company produces a great deal of transactions
>  in one day.  Twice a year (December and June) we submit INV900 saying yes
>  Delete ITH records. Your right it does take a long time.
>  Lisa take a look at your system parms in SYS800.
>  Look for SYS824D Transaction history parms.
>  How many days do you have for Inventory Transactions. We have 500 days.
This
>  permits us to look at 2 years of stocktaking audits. You may want to
>  re-think this number. This is only a suggestion, your company may have
other
>  ideas.

We ran into a problem with shop orders that did not get purged by CST900
because CST900 looks at inventory history on a shop order as part of the
process of deciding whether or not to purge - conclusion = however old your
shop orders are, you do not want history retention to be LESS than that.

BPCS/36 had an option to restore from INV900 tape some prior history & then
run INV history reports with choice of old stuff only or include on-line
history --- I have not seen that option on BPCS/400.  Did SSA take it out?
We rarely used it because it was a royal pain figuring out where the data was
that we wanted to access, with 12 backup sets per year & poorer tools for
accessing off-line meida than are available today.  If copy to tape was less
often in the year, this sort of thing would be more practical, inspiring more
attention to archiving.

BPCS/36 in addition to how many days keep inventory also had minimum history
to keep on any one item - I have not seen that option on BPCS/400 --- we set
like 3 minimum records so that inactive stuff from physical to physical would
have last year's physical records & not much else, or even 2 physicals ago.

We also had a modification on BPCS/36 that when the INV900 copied records to
tape, we also captured a particular kind of record that some folks wanted to
trace in perpetuity.

Al Macintyre
+---