  • Subject: Re: BPCS/36 to BPCS/400 via RSTS36F
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:25:37 EDT

> Subj:     ** BPCS System/36 4.4B to AS400 BPCS 6.1Mixed Mode **
>  From:        Forwiw@aol.com (Sandy)

I looked up my old S/36 code, because I remember it was a big hassle figuring
out what needed to be done to get it to work.

Here's the OCL from a menu option then I will explain some of the lines

RESPONSE AUTORESP,DP.XPERT
NOHALT 3,JOB
*
// * 'Please key in name if unique to this tape'
// MSG ALL,Please stay out of BPCS/36 while dbs/36 copying to tape
// BANAME
// PAUSE 'Continue if Ok to erase this tape'
TAPEINIT TC, SL,?L'401,6'?, CLEAR,,NOERASE, REWIND
*
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,BLANK-75
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,DATA-'Files started save to tape ?L'401,6'? backup'
// BAKMSG
*
// REGION SIZE-64
*
// SAVE ALL,99,#SAVLAW,?L'401,6'?,LAW,TC,LEAVE,,NOBUFFER
// MSG ALL,LAW         done - EVA GWD WIR next
*
// SAVE ALL,99,#SAVEVA,?L'401,6'?,EVA,TC,LEAVE,,NOBUFFER
// MSG ALL,LAW EVA    done -     GWD WIR next
*
// SAVE ALL,99,#SAVGWD,?L'401,6'?,GWD,TC,LEAVE,,NOBUFFER
// MSG ALL,LAW EVA GWD done -         WIR next
*
// SAVE ALL,99,#SAVWIR,?L'401,6'?,WIR,TC,REWIND,,NOBUFFER
// MSG ALL,Files saved - dedicated ended, unless we doing multiple tapes
*
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,BLANK-75
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,DATA-'LAW EVA GWD WIR saved to tape ?L'401,6'? for OS/400'
// BAKMSG
*
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,BLANK-75
// LOCAL OFFSET-411,DATA-'DSPMSG QSYSOPR & verify no tape error messages'
// BAKMSG
*
// HISTORY LIST,ALL,,?PROC?
// RETURN

Now some annotation

S/36 used group files like PRO.IIM or SSA.IIM for item master file for
example - we had 4 groups LAW EVA GWD WIR for our 4 data bases, which were
the S/36 equivalent of BPCS/400 facilities.

DP.XPERT was my S/36 library for MIS support functions like backups & defrags

BANAME was an OCL I nested in all my backup OCLs to ask which of several
standard tapes like MON TUES WED THU FRI was being used, or we could key in
the volume-id & the selection was returned via LDA 401,6

BAKMSG was an OCL I wrote to simultaneously write lines to the history log
and to the S/36 system operator log, but for tape error messages, I found
that the recovery & diagnostic options were better from OS/400, even when
they were generated from the S/36 side.

By putting this in a CL, I significantly reduced the risk of El Typo

The actual messages are not as polite as above examples

Al Macintyre

+---