  • Subject: RE: Duplicates in BPCS files - illusion?
  • From: Paul King <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:22:04 +0000

None that I'm aware of. We have some very complex in house posting programs
for which we use commitment control. One in particulrar is SFC posting /
backflushing for in-line inventory updating (updates ITH, ILI, IWI, FSO,
FMA, FOD, FLT and IIM etc records throughout the day / shift a pallet at a
time, about one transaction every 10 seconds). BPCS sometimes locks records
for ages whilst it muses over some SQL statement or another and if a record
locking conflict occurs our routine times out, rolls everything back and
posts to a 'holding' area for users to try again later. It has saves
hundreds of hours of support and data fixing. The same scenario with BPCS
code just fails the update! It's a shame but technologies like commitment
control don't seem to be in favour any more. As for performance, I'm with
you. Journalling is a great DR enabler anyway and I've never had to upgrade
a box purely to switch it on (unlike going BPCS 4 to 6), aside, its not the
overhead it used to be on older boxes / OS's. If you do journal your BPCS
database - don't look at the journals too closely - I've found some really
scary things going on!

Paul

At 20:23 03/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Does the AS/400 version of BPCS have this problem (i.e. failed transactions
>leaving duplicate records laying around)?  I used to run a MACPAC shop,
>which includes journaling and commitment control in all its update programs.
>In the TEN years I ran that software, I NEVER had this problem.  If the user
>kicked the plug out mid-transaction, the box fixed it for me.  I always
>crowed about the benefits of journaling and commitment control, but the
>reply was usually a concern about performance.  Whatever performance hit I
>took was worth all the extra sleep I got not having to de-dupe files and
>back out failed transactions.
>
>Has anyone implemented this in a BPCS environment?  It's a real bear to do
>it right.

>Purge and Archive your AS/400 Data Without Programming with ARCTOOLS (tm)
>Add archiving to BPCS' purge programs WITHOUT PROGRAMMING.
>DCSoftware, Inc.
>(508) 435-8243
>(508) 435-4498 (fax)
>http://www.arctools.com