  • Subject: Re: Update from WABUG (Western Area BPCS User Group) Meeting
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:30:09 -0400

Chris !

And if they no longer want your support dollars, I would look to Nexgen for
that - 6 weeks
ago, I got a mailing from them AGGRESIVELY recruiting all existing SSA
customers that were
NOT going to V6 to turn to them for support. That is QUITE a statement in
itself that a
company would make an investment like that (and a MAJOR indictment of SSA's
help offering
that generally tells you to "upgrade" to "fix" your problems...)

Chuck

Chris Devous wrote:

> Date sent:              Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:23:28 +0100
> From:                   Bill Robins <brobins@ix.netcom.com>
>
> [snip]
>

> > I followed up someone else's comment regarding the CD product, that if they
>drop
> > support for it in 2002 and do not also enhance the capabilities of this
>offering that
> > they will lose customers.  Bob in his most eloquent manner said "NO WE
>WON'T.  I
> > refuse to believe that anyone will leave!"  He also added that he refuses
>to develop
> > the product along the two lines, the hidden -and not so hidden - message
>remains, "We
> > are giving you CD only so you can later go to V6".
> >
> > I was commended by numerous people after the opening session about speaking
>up
> > regarding this issue.  In talking with an SSA employee later, who had not
>heard this
> > exchange, it was confided in me that "they" can't get through to the head
>guys that
> > people just don't want to go to V6.  I had also recounted to this person
>the lack of
> > value I received from the conference due to it's overwhelming focus on V6,
>I was
> > interested in CD - V6 just doesn't apply here.
> >
> > So, if anyone would like to pass this note onto Bill or Bob here is my
>feelings on
> > the V6 scenario and I would guess it is other's as well.  I WILL NEVER GO
>TO V6 AS
> > LONG AS IT IS WRITTEN PARALLEL TO UNIX CODE.  This was the downfall to the
> > organization and the product and you now have two poorly performing product
>lines:
> > AS/400 and UNIX.  You need to immediately change the way you write AS/400
>code.  The
> > code needs to be written to DB2/400 and RPG's strengths and not the common
> > denominator.
> >

> [snip]
>
> SSA's continued focus on V6 does not seem to be warranted.  I would consider
> an upgrade only if there were signifigant benefit to the business, and no one
> has convinced me that there is.  From lurking in this list, I would say that
>the
> constant problem reports coupled with SSA's own statements regarding their
> development methods constitute a signifigant de-incentive to "upgrade".
>
> My position at this time is that if SSA wants me to upgrade, they need to give
> me a very good reason to go through the pain, and they have not done so.  I
> would be happy to present them with the opportunity.
>
> At this point, I think it likely that I will go custom.  The report quoted
>above
> indicates that SSA no longer wants my support dollars, they would much rather
> have my upgrade dollars.  Since they give me no compelling reason to
> [...]

+---