  • Subject: Re: Update from WABUG (Western Area BPCS User Group) Meeting
  • From: "Chris Devous" <cdevous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:29:52 -0700

Date sent:              Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:23:28 +0100
From:                   Bill Robins <brobins@ix.netcom.com>

[snip]

> I followed up someone else's comment regarding the CD product, that if they
>drop
> support for it in 2002 and do not also enhance the capabilities of this
>offering that
> they will lose customers.  Bob in his most eloquent manner said "NO WE WON'T.
> refuse to believe that anyone will leave!"  He also added that he refuses to
>develop
> the product along the two lines, the hidden -and not so hidden - message
>remains, "We
> are giving you CD only so you can later go to V6".
>
> I was commended by numerous people after the opening session about speaking up
> regarding this issue.  In talking with an SSA employee later, who had not
>heard this
> exchange, it was confided in me that "they" can't get through to the head
>guys that
> people just don't want to go to V6.  I had also recounted to this person the
>lack of
> value I received from the conference due to it's overwhelming focus on V6, I
>was
> interested in CD - V6 just doesn't apply here.
>
> So, if anyone would like to pass this note onto Bill or Bob here is my
>feelings on
> the V6 scenario and I would guess it is other's as well.  I WILL NEVER GO TO
>V6 AS
> LONG AS IT IS WRITTEN PARALLEL TO UNIX CODE.  This was the downfall to the
> organization and the product and you now have two poorly performing product
>lines:
> AS/400 and UNIX.  You need to immediately change the way you write AS/400
>code.  The
> code needs to be written to DB2/400 and RPG's strengths and not the common
> denominator.

[snip]

SSA's continued focus on V6 does not seem to be warranted.  I would consider
an upgrade only if there were signifigant benefit to the business, and no one
has convinced me that there is.  From lurking in this list, I would say that
the
constant problem reports coupled with SSA's own statements regarding their
development methods constitute a signifigant de-incentive to "upgrade".

My position at this time is that if SSA wants me to upgrade, they need to give
me a very good reason to go through the pain, and they have not done so.  I
would be happy to present them with the opportunity.

At this point, I think it likely that I will go custom.  The report quoted
above
indicates that SSA no longer wants my support dollars, they would much rather
have my upgrade dollars.  Since they give me no compelling reason to
upgrade, then they will get no dollars.

Comments?