  • Subject: Re: AS/SET Training /Consulting
  • From: Eric Hunkins <ehunkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:46:26 -0600

The History of SSA development and tools as I know it

Version 4+                       Mostly RPG small parts in ASSET
Version 5.0 to 5.10.1        Mostly Asset, some parts still in RPG
Version 5.2                       Mostly Asset, some RPG, COM/CEA/OLM rewrote
in
                                         ODW (not what they are calling today,
this was a fat client GUI tool)
Version 6                          Mostly Asset, some RPG, COM/CEA/OLM is GUI
                                         Most of BPCS converted to second
generation client server (thin client) for new GUI version.
Version 6+                        BPCS is split into two versions to meet the
demands(outrage) of client. BPCS is now sold as
                                         mixed mode (green screen +
COM/OEA/OLM) and full GUI (Second generation +
                                         first generation CEA/COM/OLM)
Version 6.0.02                  ODW is renamed DFS, second generation is
renamed OPS, development starts on a new tool
                                         called ODW (I guess they liked the
name)
Version 6.0.04                  ODW tool is released to one or two beta sites.

All development at SSA is done in Asset for all of BPCS except CEA/COM/OLM.
Even BMR’s are applied in Asset. Once development is done, a copy is saved and
that is called "Mixed Mode", then the Asset code is run through a generator to
produce the GUI code, which is then "polished" to make it look like GUI. The
releases of Asset were timed to coincide with BPCS, ie 5.2 Asset for BPCS 5.2,
and ect. With BPCS 6.0.04 mixed mode you will be able to modify everything with
Asset 6.4 except CEA/COM/OLM. If you have made any mods to BPCS
financials(CEA), Order entry (COM), or have FMS/OLM, you will not be able to
migrate the mods yourself. There is no tool available and no plans to make one.
If mods are required they will have to be done by the BEC in Toronto or England
for a hefty price. ODW (the new one) is still in beta at only one site that I
know of (unfortunately it’s the site that I contract to) we have been using it
for 8 months and have recently got it to generate code that will run. ODW will
only work for version 6.0.04, there are no tools available at this time for the
client to modify 6.0 or 6.0.02 GUI. SSA is currently re-writing CEA/COM/OLM  in
OPS (second generation) and the CEA team is actually using ODW. Another thing
to keep in mind for those considering buying BPCS GUI and ODW, is that
applications created with ODW will not be able to be run outside of BPCS. In
the case of Asset you could use it as a development tool for your whole
enterprise, but you will not have that luxury with ODW. I realize this is
probably more than you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

Kubota.Judy@orbital.com wrote:

> We are currently in the processing of upgrading our BPCS 4.01 to 6.04 mixed
> mode on an AS/400.
>
> We have made modifications to the BPCS code.  I understand that the new
> BPCS is written in AS/SET and it would be necessary to make our
> modifications in AS/SET.
>
> Does anyone know of other sources for AS/SET training?  Preferably in
> California.  I've already checked into the SSA courses.  They have two
> classes one in August and one in October.  Also has anyone taken the
> SSA course?  Any comments?
>
> +---
> | This is the BPCS Users Mailing List!
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to BPCS-L@midrange.com.