  • Subject: Re: Y2K testing
  • From: Lisa Abney <abney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:44:48 -0500

4 days included installing product on system, analyzing all data files to
determine date fields, creating programs to downdate appropriate fields,
downdating data, creating appropriate modified RPG and CL programs, and some
very
basic testing within the IS group.  This did cover all custom libraries, coding,
etc.  MS4 does not modify the AS/SET action diagrams, only the generated code.
As we are a publicly held company, unit and system testing had to be documented
and done at a level to satisfy our auditors ... that process took about 15 users
approximately 2 manhour months, including writing test scripts, 4 testing
cycles,
and completing documentation.  Time for the environment set up I can't really
remember, but was probably a couple of days - at least for our first test run on
version 4.0.3 (we won't even talk about trying to get a 4.0.5 version of BPCS
that would run on a Risc box - right, Chuck?  Of course, that had nothing to do
with MS4!)

As far as storing the data in a "useable" format for queries ... you're right,
that is an issue.  We have a great deal of queries that users have written, and,
if the users want to see the queries in a current date format, they will have to
make the adjustment by creating a work field.  However, that was a reasonable
trade-off for the savings in both time and dollars to go with this solution.

One final note ... when we made the decision to go with MS4, 4.0.5 CD was just
being announced, and we had some inside sources at SSA confirming it was still
vaporware.  Had it already been available when we had to make a decision, I'm
not
sure we would have made the same decision (although I have no idea what the cost
comparison today would be - at first announcement, the cost of 4.0.5CD was
unreasonable).

Hanch, Cathy wrote:

> Re: MS4 conversion, does the 4 days to convert include time for the
> following?:
> * Analyzing date exceptions to BPCS norms
> * Issue resolution for date exceptions
> * Custom libraries
> * Custom coding issues
> * Unit and System Testing
> * AS/SET data structure and action diagram conversion
> * Environment set up/ongoing issues
>
>  Also, food for thought, does MS4's product:
>
> * Store dates in a useable format for queries, exports to MS office (e.g.
> non-encrypted dates)
> * Convert AS/SET data models and action diagrams
> * Include on-line AS/SET action diagram viewer (i.e. without using the AS/SET
> tool)

+---